Skip to content
- EMBREA-MUD a Tool for the Simulation of Tailings Dams Breaching, published in February 2021 in ICOLD Symposium on Sustainable Development of Dams and River Basins. Written by HR Wallingford’s Mohammed Hassan, Gregor Petkovšek and Craig Goff
- A Two-Fluid Simulation of Tailings Dam Breaching, published in October 2020 in Mine Water and the Environment. Written by HR Wallinford’s Gregor Petkovšek, Mohamed Hassan, Darren Lumbroso and Marta Roca Collell.
- DAMSAT: An eye in the sky for monitoring tailings dams, published in September 2020 in Mine Water and the Environment. Written by HR Wallingford‘s Darren Lumbroso, Marta Roca Collell, Gregor Petkovsek, Mark Davison, Yee Liu, Craig Goff and Mark Wetton.
- The potential to reduce the risks posed by tailings dams using satellite-based information, published in August 2019 in the International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. Written by HR Wallingford’s Darren Lumbroso, Caitlin McElroy, Craig Goff, Marta Roca Collell, Gregor Petkovšek and Mark Wetton.
- Presentation “Supporting reduction of risks of tailings dams using earth observation data” by Mark Davison from HR Wallingford in the EGU2020 conference.
- Presentation “An operational system for tailings dam monitoring by bringing together remote sensing, meteorological and on-site observations” by Eleanor Ainscoe from HR Wallingford in the EGU2020 conference.
- Presentation “Minimising the risk of tailings dams failures through the use of remote sensing data” by Marta Roca Collell from HR Wallingford in the EGU2019 conference.
- Presentation Tecnología satelital para el monitoreo de relaveras (in Spanish) by Olalla Gimeno from HR Wallingford in III Nortemin 2018 Conference in Peru.
- Tailings Dams Monitoring using Satellite-enabled Technologies presented at the Tailings 2018, 5th International Seminar on Tailings Management.
- OSINERGMIN map of mining activities in Peru, including closed tailings deposits (in Spanish).
- Website from Devex and partners (Devex is a media media platform for the global development community) that explores how satellite applications and space technology can transform global development and humanitarian aid.
- If you want to know more about the benefits of satellite technology, satellite types, etc, look at this website satellites4everyone.co.uk. In particular, here you can find more explanations about how Earth Observation satellites work
- Space for Development website produced by Caribou Digital with the support from UKSA IPP providing a unified view of the knowledge, initiatives and community using space for development benefits. Here you can download the catalogue of space-based solutions that address development challenges.
- The Global Tailings Portal is a searchable database with information of more than 1,800 tailings dams around the world.
- If you want to learn more about tailings dams, how they are distributed around the world and the risk associated to these structures, here you can find an article by Reuters that covers all these topics and more.